Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Subtropical October

Well, October has come and with it rain and clouds, but the temperatures are still in the 20's. Today while harvesting in the vineyards I felt like I was in the vineyards of Chile not southern germany!
We harvested a lot of grapes today, working from 8:00 till 17:30. It was a long day, but a good one. There is always a lot of good food, and the company is also very nice.
This past weekend I finally got out and meet some of the youth from the Mennonite Church here in Sinsheim. Last Wednesday a girl from the youth group phoned me and invited me to come to youth on Friday. I was so excited, it was the first time that someone was inviting me to do something with them. It turns out that youth did not happen that Friday, but this girl and two of her friends still desided to hang out with me. We got along very well right of the hop. It was so nice to hang out with people my age and just have a nice evening. They even invited me to go with them to Stuttgart on Saturday to some big youth service. So on Satrday, I went to harvest during the day and in the evening I joined the youth group to go to this service.
The service was not really my style. I once again realized how strong my mennonite roots are and that I just am not a cherismatic person. I was not upset that I went though because I got to know some awsome people.
Sunday was a nice relaxing day. We went to church and in the afternoon I took a nice nap outside in the warm autum sun. I went for a run and found a new really beautiful rout through this forest. In the evening it got very windy so we used this opportunity to go fly the kite that David got a while ago. It was so nice to spend time just playing with the kids and enjoying the beautiful weather.
On Monday we did not harvest. The weather was not great, but the grapes also needed an extra day on the vines. In the morning I ironed for about two hours. I cooked lunch, we made quiten (a fruit that growes here, kind of like an apple, but a lot harder) jam and used the day to get some of the things done that needed doing.
In the evening I went along to a biblestudy group that these girls that I got to know on the weekend are a part of. I really enjoyed it and I think that I will contiune to go.
And that brings us to today. I am doing really good and am so glad that I got to know some people this past weekend. I drove home from the harvest today, and though it was hard to learn standard I think I have it now. I did not stall once and was very pleased with my driving.
Often there are things that remind me of home, my family and my friends, I miss them all, but overall I am so glad that I made the desison to do Intermenno, it is letting me experience things that I would otherwise never have experienced!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Maria for that vivid description of the gathering of grapes. In my mind I can see you cutting the bunches of grapes from the vines. I have seen some vineyards in Germany and the sight is awesome. Keep on blogging. I look forward to additional news from you.
    We are having nice weather at this time, although the forcast is calling for colder temperatures and more rain. So be it. Take care and God be with you. Jake Harms

    ReplyDelete